Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 3: June 3-Twilight Zone

Riverbend Hot Springs 
http://www.riverbendhotsprings.com/

So, we made it to Riverbend Hot Springs resort . It's fabulous. As I'm sure you all read in Par's post, yesterday was QUITE the day. We are almost to the point of laughing about it now, but not going to lie we had a bit of a shake. But seriously, my mechanic is toast, my mom already ordered the hit. 
So while we wait for our car to get repaired, we decided to enjoy the desert landscape. Since Par and I have started our days at like 6 or 7, we were both wide awake this morning at 6:30 (despite getting in around 1 last night). We looked at the map for a bit, tried to map out a change in plans, then realized the hot springs opened at 7 and not 8 like we thought: we got dressed immediately and dove into the pool: it was amazing. We people watched for a good long time, and let me tell you people-all of you who thought I was hippie from Berkeley? I ain't got nothin' on these people. Everyone here is meditating, wearing flowing skirts and dresses, big zodiac necklaces-I mean the works. I guess it all adds to the tranquil atmosphere.

What's next? 
Well, our car wont get looked at until later this afternoon so we're just biting our time until then. The mechanic seemed quite nice and offered to loan us his car to go sight seeing if the car takes longer than a few hours. If nothing else, we broke down in the sweetest little city where everyone knows everyone, and they loan strangers their cars. We were told of a great breakfast place walking distance from here, so we'll check that out in a bit. We were also told there's a wonderful lake driving distance (mechanic told us, hence the car borrowing) and White Sands that are must sees. So although it wasn't planned, Par and I are rolling with it and making the best of this adventure! And believe me....this is an adventure.

Breakfast: Happy Belly Deli
...well, we ended up heading to this breakfast place after our long natural spring soak, and it rocked! We finally got some amazing food and incredible sourdough! I forgot how great that bread is, and so did Par-we scarfed. 
 

IU Bound: 
So considering our day yesterday, and the upswing of this new day, Par and I decided to lick the wounds with a little retail therapy. We walked around Main St. and stumbled across some fun stores! In one particular store (one in which both Par and I purchased rings), we discovered the 85 year old owner who was 100% deaf was actually an alumni from IU Bloomington! He talked to us about being in the Navy, and how small Bloomington and Indiana was when he lived there-he graduated in the mid 1950's. 

Land line
As Par and I were enjoying our day, we discovered that neither of us had any phone service. Now generally this isn't a HUGE deal, but it completely stinks when you're waiting for your mechanic to call you back and let you know if your car is drivable! So we had to bum a call off our hotel and use their land line phone-I haven't used one of those in years! The mechanic informed me he tried to get a hold of me for hours, and seemed annoyed I had not returned his call. I must admit, this was a bit odd to me-how the hell could this mechanic from the middle of nowhere be surprised when someone's phone doesn't get service. Oh well. The man informed us we had a good 4 hours until the car was finished, so Par and I did what any two bored city girls would do-we got margaritas. 
 

Tarot Cards and Margaritas
We found this little place that served wine margaritas-sounds kinds gross right. WRONG! Par and I agreed, these were the best margaritas we had EVER had. We started getting really chatty with the woman next to us and ultimately asked her to join our table. This woman was the perfect embodiment of T or C; elderly and die hard hippie. As we started talking and telling her about our trip, she started telling us places to see on our way out of the state, how much she loved T or C and how much fun her and her gal pals have around town. She let it slip that her two friends do card readings-maybe it was the margaritas, or maybe it was pure curiosity, but Par and I almost in unison said "WE WANT READINGS." Twenty minutes and $15-20 later, Par and I had our futures told. Now, to give a fair description, these readers were not like the kook on the left here, they were true hippies and at least my reader closed her eyes and felt the wind as she read my cards. Not gonna lie, it was a pretty interesting experience and everything she said to me at least made sense. Only thing that was of slllllight concern was the "DEATH" card that she pulled. She looked at me, looked at the card, looked at me again and said-"oh, I mean sometimes it means physical death-but I'm sure it doesn't in this case." Gee thanks lady-that's what I need right now. Later, Par informed me she got the same card and the same response-though overall our readings were 100% different.

Well, the car is just about finished and Par and I are itching to get back on the road. Everyone has informed me that my mechanic in Indiana failed to properly secure my tire, and that while he couldn't say with 100% certainty that this incident could have been avoided, he did tell me he was about 98% sure, and would indicate as such on my receipt print-out. I will refrain from naming said mechanic until I speak with him. If he fails to compensate for this incident-lol-it will not be good and you will ALLLLL know who it is! 

Coming up next....Tuscon!

No comments:

Post a Comment