Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 6: June 6

The Secret Spot:
Trev took us to one of his favorite places-The Secret Spot-otherwise known for it's vegan food. Now, Par and I aren't exactly vegan eaters, nor are we really vegetarian eaters (I know, I know-I went through that phase but it is LOOOOONG passed) so we were both a little skeptical. I even ordered the fake turkey on my omelet to be sure I really tried new food. Surprisingly, it was delicious! Par actually took a liking to the imitation meat! We said goodbye to Trev and continued on our way to LA, Santa Barbara, and San Louis to see Becca!!!

Hollywood: 
I really didn't want to stop here. I hate LA, it's not for me, and it's annoying to drive through. But considering Par is an out of towner, and i haven't visited Hollywood for at least 5 years, we decided to swing through. My memories of Hollywood are of a crummy and dingy street with creepy hooker stores on the corner and homeless men everywhere-luckily this is not the case anymore. Hollywood boulevard has really gone through a transformation and looks closer to a small version of Vegas rather than 38th st (for all you Indy people). It was nice to drive through, change my opinion of the place, show Par "the Hollywood sign!" and continue driving through bumper to bumper traffic.

Santa Barbara:
When I did a southern California road trip with my friend Ness, this was one of my favorite stops; same thing stands true for this trip. There is just something so endearing about this little city/town right on the water and flooded with tourists. Par and I grabbed pretty decent crispy shredded beef tacos, deep fried and grilled mahi mahi tacos (total of 3). We walked along the pier, grabbed some salt water taffy and a stroll on the boardwalk beach.

Solvang:
Wine tasting at the Wandering Dog Wine Bar-this would probably be a favorite of the Tortorich parents. The wine bottles have pictures of dogs on them, and a story on the back about each dog that the wine is named after-this is a real place. The service wasn't excellent, but the wine was decent and Par and I befriended some older guys next to us from Boston. Par spent a good 20 minutes talking to them about places to go, and food to order on her next trip to the east coast in a few weeks! Only disappointment is we wanted to try these appleskeever things-but everyplace we walked to was closed (sad face) but we got to walk around the town for a bit anyway it was pretty cool little place.

Police Encounter number 928709847325:
I'm pretty sick of police officers let me tell you. As we left Solvang and were almost immediately pulled over. I was going the speed limit, we BOTH had seat belts on, I wasn't talking on the phone, nothing. I had no clue what we were pulled over for. Officer shows up, asks "Do you know why I pulled you over" my response, "Nope, I honestly have no idea." He then informs me that my plates are expired (by a month) and my registration needs to be updated. I tell him I'm on my way home and can fix that ASAP when I'm home, but clearly could do nothing about it at the moment. He writes me a fix-it ticket, talks to me and Par about where the police see their money (he was very nice, but a bit of a talker, both Par and I wanted to get the heck out of there). Then I let it slip that I graduated law school, what does he do then? TRIES TO RECRUIT ME FOR CHP! It was so strange, he's telling me about all the opportunities there are, and how law students really enjoy it, bla bla bla...I'm thinking, "Please give me my ticket and let me get to my sister....you've been talking to me for waaaay too long." Thirty minutes later....we're off.

The Cliffs:
Finally visited  my sister at her restaurant. She is the hostess at the Cliffs and she looks so cute behind the welcome booth! Par and I sat in the bar and waited for her to finish working. Par ordered ahi fish tacos. Not one, but two....surprised?

After Party:
In true Cross Country girls form, Par and I were beat and had little to no energy to go out with Bec. Luckily, by the time we got home it was like 10:30 and she was beat too. We had a glass of wine, sat at her adorable apartment table, tried some of her restaurant ribeye with potatoes and bacon and just hung out. Par and I passed out at like 11 and woke up at 7 am...what's wrong with us?

Today's Adventure: 
Today we are going to do the following (hopefully)

  • Pismo Beach-home of the clam chowder with the buttered toasted top
  • Hold the puppies in the store....favorite thing I did there last time! 
  • Madonna Inn-a family favorite. It's difficult to describe so just wait for pictures...
  • Wine tasting and mimosas 
  • Tour around Becc's campus a bit
  • Head down Highway 1 and play around Santa Cruise for a bit
  • HOME!!!! and maybe sushi...but def HOME!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment