Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 4: June 4-No idea how far we've driven....

San Xavier:
On our way out of Tucson, we decided to drive past San Xavier per the suggestion of several people. It was pretty stunning actually. I have seen many churches and missions in my day, and this one was definitely one of the better ones. We wandered around inside, took a bunch of pictures, then headed on our last long day of driving!! We were pretty antsy.
In 'N Out animal style burger and fries:
If you're from the midwest, and have never ventured to the west coast, then this stop will make NO sense to you. In 'N Out is probably one of the most famous fast food restaurants on the West Coast. I can't describe it-it's just mouth watering, cheap, and delicious. It's decorated like a 50's fast food joint, and up until a few years ago, they didn't even take credit cards! We stopped here at the exact half way point getting to California.

Checkpoint: 2- Megan: 0
Ok, so at this point I've noted my inability to talk to law enforcement; it's a curse. As we left Yuma, par and I crossed into California state lines After we had already crossed into California state lines, we can upon a second check point. I had my ID out and ready, Par and I went over what I was going to say so I wouldn't look like an idiot AGAIN, we pulled up to the officer and I rolled down my window. He asks, "So where you girls headed today?" my response: "California!!!" Par's head falls down in disappointment, the police officer looks at me with this "no duh" look and I quickly recovered, "I mean San Diego sir. We drove from Indiana and we're stopping there to see my friends and then driving up to...." Police officer looked uninterested and just said, "drive safe" and he pointed us through.

Checkpoint 2: Megan still: 0 Par: 1
So we pass by a THIRD checkpoint and Par is really grillin' me on what to say. It's clear I'll never be a litigator as this trip has reinforced, but I didn't want to look like an idiot, so we mapped out my responses and was ready to go. We pull up to the officer, and this time he's on Par's window. Roll down the window, officer takes one look at Par in her low cut dress, doesn't even ASK us a question and waves us through!

San Diego! and Anthony's (aka the best chowder thus far) 
FINALLY!!!! We made it to California. It was by far the most beautiful drive into a state thus far-like by a landslide. I was crazy excited the whole way. My dad was on the phone with me for a few minutes, then reminded me it's illegal to talk on the phone in the state! Oh how I missed this place. We drove past my old stomping ground, SDSU, pointed out Mission Valley and Old Town to Par then drove by memory to downtown. Par has been looking forward to trying Anthony's clam chowder for the past three years since Jordan and I talk nonstop about it. She got the chowder in the bread bowl, and believe me when I say-she didn't even look at me for 20 min while she devoured the ENTIRE THING! Soup, bread, and all! Impressive doesn't even BEGIN to describe this incident...

Shore Club: 
We rolled up to Brian's house around 4:30 or so, he gave us directions to his favorite bar (one I had actually never visited) and offered to meet us there. Had I known about this place when I lived in PB, I probably wouldn't have gone anywhere else. It had a second story view of the beach, perfect for people watching, $3 Dos Equis all day every day, and sports playing-I loved it. Now, Par loved this place for a whole other reason. The Shore Club was home of the city's best tacos. Within minutes of sitting down, she said, "well, I have to order that!" Mind you, this girl plowed through In 'N Out, clam chowder and a bread bowl (and some calamari) and now she was going for the lobster tacos and a frozen margarita! She swallowed that thing whole, and after being there for a few hours, she ordered two more (and she wasn't done eating).

Cassbah:
So after Par and my friend Brian Jenkins hit it off talking about their food obsessions, he suggested we head to the Cassbah and grab some Chippino with toasted garlic bread. I was pretty happy drinking pitchers with my old drinking buddies Sean and Glenn! I even got to see Casey, an old resident. As I had fun drinking and talking with old buddies, Par and Brian had fun sucking down their seafood soup. It was a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment