Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 5: June 5 - The day we ate everything...

So far, Meg has been pretty impressed by the amount of food I have eaten on this trip... she hasn't seen anything yet.  I can't get seafood or tacos or sushi this good in the Midwest, so I'm binging.  Don't judge -- I'm making up for my last trip to San Fran when I refused to eat seafood.  

I was thrilled to find that Meg's friend Brian, who we met last night, is a major foodie just like myself.  He even prepares his steaks exactly the same way, and we were finishing each other's sentences as we described our favorite foods and preparations.  Needless to say, we took his every restaurant recommendation, which lead to us eating about a zillion times between last night and today.

Breakfast:
Coconut crusted french toast with a raspberry puree.  I'm not normally a fan of coconut, but this was stellar.  It was made with coconut bread and crusted with toasted coconut.  With the tart raspberry sauce, it was a great combo.

La Jolla:
Next, we drove to beautiful La Jolla and walked along the cliffs to see the seals.  We had another scare with the car when we noticed bright green fluid gushing from the front, but a few calls to the boyfriend and a quick visit with a mechanic helped us get back onto the road quickly.



Lunch: Part I
Probably an hour after breakfast, we stopped off at a fishmonger for first lunch.  At Brian's recommendation, we shared a seared ahi tuna and avocado sandwich and clam chowder.  Both were amazing -- though the clam chowder didn't compare to Anthony's in SD!

Lunch: Part II
Probably another hour later, we stopped for second lunch with one of Meg's friends from college and her boyfriend.  We sat along the water and ate grilled halibut tacos.  Meg was a tad grossed out by the pink lipstick from some previous user of her water glass, but the food was pretty good (all that matters).

Lunch: Part III Dessert
We next visited this super cute little candy store, where Meg snagged the last peanut butter ball, a whipped ball of chocolatey peanut buttery goodness that definitely won the dessert prize.  I got a milk chocolate pecan turtle, and Joe (Jessica's boyfriend) got some coconut chocolate crispy thing.  We will both be living at the gym when this trip is over.

AVP:
Met up with Trevor and walked around Huntington beach.  We watched the AVP volleyball tournament for a bit, which basically made Meg's day.

Dinner:
I was craving sushi, so we found a fun little place in the heart of Huntington Beach.  Meg and Trevor say I ate like a champ.  I say I'm just making up for lost time.  We got three rolls, and I gobbled up most of them.  Don't judge.


We were supposed to get dressed up that evening and hit LA's party scene in style... but these girls were dead.  As Trevor modeled different outfits for us, we changed into pajamas and curled on the couch to watch How I Met Your Mother.  Not the LA party scene, but great night nonetheless.

Dinner: Part II Dessert
After an episode of HIMYM mentioned candy, Meg and I both perked up and gave each other "the look" -- after being together 24/7 for so long, we can read each other's thoughts -- we had to find candy.  We walked to a nearby liquor store in our pajamas and bought some old school candy -- the stuff we ate as kids.  I'm pretty sure the store clerk thought we were high, as I was searching intently for Gobstoppers and kept walking up and down the aisles calling for them.  We downed most of the Starbursts, gummy worms, and sour straws that night... and what was left, we finished for breakfast the next day.  Don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment